Things change rapidly, ever more so in our digitally connected culture.
Now, more than any time in history, we have the chance to connect instantly and to learn rapidly. In fact, most of the time it feels like we must do this in order to survive.
The speed of our culture creates challenges, but it also offers immense opportunities for us to learn and grow. Now more than ever, we need tools. For example, we need the Circle Lifeshape to help us observe, reflect, and make plans to change.
I believe that my foundational book Building a Discipling Culture is another vital tool. Here’s why:
Jesus’ Great Commission call for us to make disciples does not change. But as time goes on, I have heard more questions about how to do this, and I have also heard incredible stories of success. Those questions and stories have led me to continue to innovate on the core principles found in the first two editions Building a Discipling Culture.
That’s why I have developed a third edition of Building a Discipling Culture. I want to share the new content I have been developing in the five years since the last edition was released.
As someone whose mission is to help Christians across the world enter Jesus’ Great Commission to make disciples, it is tremendously encouraging to see how the ideas spelled out in the first two editions of this book have helped people do exactly that.
I decided to put together a new edition of Building a Discipling Culture so that I could put the latest iteration of these ideas into the hands of the movement. So in this edition, you’ll find new material that includes:
• An updated introduction that explains the importance of the context of Family on Mission in Building a Discipling Culture
• The Five Capitals: thinking about how we invest ourselves into others and into mission.
• The Three As: considering how we can follow Jesus’ example and avoid the core temptations of ambition, appetite, and approval.
• An appendix on how these core temptations relate to the Enneagram personality types
• New culture-creating language for the Person of Peace Strategy via a new shape.
Building a Discipling Culture has been a key training and learning tool for countless Christians across the world over the past 10 years. I pray that the new edition will serve to further equip many, and that it will also find its way to new people ready to embrace the calling to make disciples who make disciples.
1. I invite you to check out the third edition, whether you have a rich history of using Building a Discipling Culture or whether you will be picking it up for the first time. I believe that this resource can be a powerful tool for Huddles, missional communities, and other church groups, and that it can help individuals take the next step toward making disciples.
2.I invite you to share the continuing stories of how Building a Discipling Culture supports and resources the discipling movement in your corner of the world. Leave a comment to tell me about your story, and we can celebrate together the breakthrough God is bringing in your missional context.
May you enjoy God’s richest blessings as you continue to pursue the call of discipleship. I pray that Building a Discipling Culture continues to be a powerful resource that empowers many on this journey. M+